Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Wooly Worm Festival Beattyville Kentucky


This weekend my family and I went over to Beattyville, Kentucky for the 23rd Annual Wooly Worm Festival. It was the first time I had ever been to the festival or even to Beattyville.

The Wooly Worm Festival was fairly big (compared to what I was expecting) and the streets were full of people having fun. There were wooly worm races, food and crafts vendors, a parade and of course live music.

The parade was probably the least of my favorite things about the festival. Actually it wouldn't have been bad had it not been for the fire trucks and emergency vehicles. There were quite a few of them and they were in very close proximity to the crowd and they kept blasting their horns and sirens. It was so loud that it actually hurt your ears and vibrated your head! I looked around and saw children and older people who were obviously in severe discomfort. I heard a lot of people complaining around me too. I swear I even saw a guy turning his hearing aid down or off. I thought it was excessive and also wondered what would have happened if there had been a fire or other emergency in Lee County at the time.

There were several different bands that performed on stage at the Wooly Worm Festival but of course my favorite thing was the live bluegrass music. In fact that was the main reason I decided to go to the Wooly Worm festival.

My wonderful wife and my two younger daughters as well as my oldest grandson enjoyed the festival with me. My grandson actually got out there and danced a bit when the bluegrass was on. I was both surprised and amazed at how well he seemed to do.

The Wooly Worm Festival has been going on during the third weekend of October since 1987 making this year number 23.


Mandolin Farm Weary Jammers

Gary Rose, Willie Jarrels, Keith Prater, Mike Wilson, Kyle Wilson and Mark Peyton

If you are a bluegrass music fan and you're on Facebook "Like" our Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/IDigBluegrass

You can see videos of the performances at the Wooly Worm Festival and other live bluegrass at http://www.IDigBluegrass.com

No comments:

Post a Comment